While using Excel, we often add comments and notes in cells to communicate with the other users or to explain the formulas. And then, we may need to remove the pop-up comments in Excel. You may also call it floating comments. In this article, I will show you how to remove the pop-up comments in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from here:
4 methods to Remove Pop-up Comments in Excel
Suppose, you have a data set with some comments in the cell. And, they are giving pop up comments. Also, there are arrow icons visible in the top right corner of the cell with comments. You may feel bothered by this. So, you want to remove the pop up comments in excel. For this, you have to either hide the comments or delete them. Here, I am showing 4 methods to remove pop up comments in Excel.
1. Hide Pop-up Comments from Excel Options
You can hide the pop-up comments so they won’t bother you while working. For this, follow the steps below.
- First, go to File > Options
- Then, the Excel Options window will appear.
- Now, go to the Advanced option and go to the Display tab.
- Now, in the “For cells with comments show” menu, select the option “No comments, notes, or indicators”
- Then, press OK.
- As a result, you will see that no comment arrows are visible in the cell corners. Also, there are no comments in the cells.
2. Remove Pop-up Comments from Right-Click Context Menu
You can delete the comments manually from the cells so there will create no pop up comments.
- To delete the comment from the cell, do right-click the mouse while the mouse cursor is above the cell.
- Then, a menu will appear and from them, click on the “Delete Comment” option.
- Manually, delete all the comments to remove the pop up comments in Excel.
- [Fixed!] Comments in Excel Far Away from Cell (3 Possible Solutions)
- [Solved:] Insert Comment Not Working in Excel (2 Simple Solutions)
- Copy Comments in Excel (2 Suitable Ways)
- How to Export PDF Comments into an Excel Spreadsheet (3 Quick Tricks)
- Print Worksheet with Comments in Excel (5 Easy Ways)
3. Delete Pop-up Comments from ‘Comments’ Window
You can also see all the comments in one place in Excel. And from the list, you can delete them to remove the pop up comments. Follow the steps below to do this.
- First, go to the top ribbon and press on the Review tab.
- Here, you will find “Show Comments” in the Comments menu.
- Click on this and you will see a window named “Comments” will appear on the right side of the worksheet.
- In this window, you will find all the comments of this worksheet in a list
- Now, click on the three dots in the top right corner of the comments.
- Then, click on the Delete Thread option to delete this comment.
- Thus, you can delete the comments so they won’t give any pop-up comments.
4. Use a VBA Code
You can also use a simple VBA code to remove all comments from the worksheet. To do this, follow the steps below.
- First, go to Developer > Visual Basic
- Then, The Visual Basic Editor window will appear.
- Here, click on the View tab.
- Then, select Immediate Window from the menu or just press Ctrl + G to open this.
- Then, you will find a new window will create at the bottom named “Immediate”.
- Now, paste the following into the box
For each ws in Worksheets: ws.cells.ClearComments: Next ws
- While the mouse cursor is active in the window, press Enter.
- Using this VBA code will clear all the comments from the worksheet.
- As a result, you have removed all the pop up comments from the worksheet.
Remove Data Validation Pop-up Comments in Excel
Sometimes, you will see pop up comments in cells where no comment exists but still, there is showing some unknown messages. These can create due to errors Data Validation command errors. If comments or pop ups come for data validation errors, you won’t find any comments in the Comments Window and hiding comments and indicators will not give any output. Here I have a solution for this and that is to clear the data validation commands. Follow the steps below:
- First, select the range of cells where pop up comments are showing.
- Then, go to the Data tab in the top ribbon and select Data Validation icon in the Data Tools menu.
- Then, the Data Validation window will appear and press the Clear All button to clear all the commands from the cells.
- As a result, you will see that all the pop ups will go away.
- So, if you fail to remove all pop up comments by the methods shown at first, you have to understand that, these pop ups are coming from the Data Validation errors. And follow these steps.
In this article, you have found how to remove pop up comments in some easy methods. You can hide pop up comments also you can delete the pop comments. Pop up comments are sometimes called floating comments. So to remove all pop up or floating comments, I hope you found this article helpful. You can visit our website Exceldemy to learn more Excel-related content. Please, drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.
- How to Extract Comments from Word Document into Excel
- Difference Between Threaded Comments and Notes in Excel
- Convert Comments to Notes in Excel (3 Suitable Ways)
- How to Export Instagram Comments to Excel (with Quick Steps)
- Read Full Comment in Excel (6 Handy Methods)
- How to Print Comments in Excel (4 Suitable Ways)
- Extract Comments in Excel (3 Suitable Examples)