The article will show you how to clear recent documents in Excel. It’s pretty annoying that the workbook fills up with the recent documents that we used earlier in Excel. This is often unnecessary and unwanted. To get rid of this problem, I’ll provide some solutions in the following sections of this article. We can clear all the recent documents in one click using some Excel features.
3 Ways to Clear Recent Documents in Excel
In this article, you will see 3 different processes to clear recent documents in Excel. All of them are easy and efficient to apply. You can apply these methods regardless of which version of Excel you are using. No matter, if you are using Excel 2007 or Excel 2010 or Excel 2013, or more recent versions like Excel 2019 or Excel 2021, or Excel 365.
1. Using Excel Options Feature to Clear Recent Documents
This method clears all the recent documents and at the same time prevents any recent documents from being saved. Please follow the instructions below.
- First, go to the File.
- After that, you will see a lot of files that you used recently or even a long time ago.
- To remove them from the list, click on Options.
- Next, in the Excel Options window, select Advanced and then go to the Display.
- Later, set ‘Show this Number of Recent Workbooks’ to 0 (zero).
- Thereafter, click OK.
Finally, you will see all the recent documents removed from the history.
Thus, you can clear recent documents in Excel by using the Options feature. If you open new workbooks, the Recent tab of the Excel workbook will still be empty because of this command.
Read More: How to Clear Cache in Excel (7 Effective Ways)
- How to Clear Cells in Excel VBA (9 Easy Methods)
- Clear Contents Without Deleting Formulas Using VBA in Excel
- How to Clear Contents in Excel Without Deleting Formatting
- Clear Contents in Excel Without Deleting Formulas (3 Ways)
- How to Clear Contents of a Sheet with Excel VBA (5 Examples)
2. Clear Unpinned Workbooks Applying ‘Remove from List’
We can use the Remove from List or Clear Unpinned Workbooks function to clear recent documents. Let’s have a look at the following procedure.
- First, go to the File menu and then go to the Recent tab.
- Right-click on any of the recent documents that you want to remove and select Remove from List.
- This command will remove that recent document
- Thereafter, if you want to clear all the recent documents, go to More Workbooks. You will find this option at the right bottom corner of the Recent Tab.
- Next, in the Workbooks Tab, right-click on any of the recent documents and select Clear unpinned items.
- This command will lead you to a warning message. Just click Yes.
- After that, you will see all the recent documents removed from the history.
Thus, you can clear recent documents in Excel by using the Remove from List or Clear Unpinned Items function.
Read More: How to Clear Excel Temp Files (3 Quick Ways)
3. Implementing VBA to Clear Recent Documents
We can also use Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to clear recent documents in Excel. Let’s go through the process below.
- First, go to the Developer Tab and then select Visual Basic.
- After that, the VBA editor will appear. Select Insert >> Module to open a VBA Module.
- Now, type the following code in the VBA Module.
Sub ClearRecentDocuments() On Error Resume Next Do Until Err.Number <> 0 Application.RecentFiles.Item(1).Delete Loop End Sub
The code uses a Do Loop statement to remove all the recent documents from the history.
- After that, go back to your sheet and run the Macro named ClearRecentDocuments.
- Next, go to the File You will see all the recent documents removed from the history.
Thus you can clear recent documents by using VBA.
Read More: Difference Between Delete and Clear Contents in Excel
In the end, we can conclude that you will learn some basic ideas of how to clear recent documents in Excel after reading this article. If you have any better suggestions or questions or feedback regarding this article, please share them in the comment box. This will help me enrich my upcoming articles. For more queries, kindly visit our website ExcelDemy.
- How to Clear Formatting in Excel (6 Easy Ways)
- Excel VBA to Clear Contents of Named Range (3 Macro Variants)
- Clear Cell Contents Based on Condition in Excel (7 Ways)
- How to Clear Multiple Cells in Excel (2 Effective Methods)
- Excel VBA: Clear Contents If Cell Contains Specific Values
- How to Clear Cells with Certain Value in Excel (2 Ways)
- Clear Cells in Excel with Button (with Detailed Steps)