Do you want to edit the Name Box, increase/decrease the data range of the Name Box, or delete the Name Box in excel? Then you are in a right place! This article will show you all these operations with the help of the following sample dataset.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook that we have used to prepare this article.
How to Use Excel Name Box to Create a Named Range
Before starting, let’s first get introduced to Excel Name Box and show how to create a Named Range using this.
Excel Name Box:
You will find the Excel Name Box on the left side of the Excel formula bar. See the following picture.
Now, how to create a named range using the Name Box? Just follow the steps below.
- Select the range of cells B5:B9 (or any single cell that we want to name).
- Click on the Name Box and type any suitable name.
- Finally, press the ENTER key.
Thus, we have created 2 named ranges using the Name Box, i.e. Students, and Marks.
You can find them in the Name Box and directly jump to the range by clicking on the Names.
Read More: How to Edit Named Range in Excel
How to Edit Name Box in Excel
There are 3 types of edits we can do to a Name Box.
1. Edit the Name in the Name Box
2. Change the Data Range
3. Delete the Name of the Name Box
Let’s see how to do each of these.
1. Edit the Name in the Excel Name box
We can edit the Name in the Name Box by clicking on it and changing the name. The steps are as simple as the following.
- Click on the Name Box > Change the text in it.
Change the Name in the Name Box from the Name Manager:
You can also edit the Name Box with the help of the Name Manager. Just follow the steps.
- Go to the Formulas tab. Then click on the Name Manager option.
The Name Manager window will appear.
- Select the Name to be edited, and click on the Edit button.
- Go to the Name box and edit the name as you wish.
- Then press OK.
After pressing OK, the Name Manager window appears again and we can see that the names are changed accordingly from the following screenshot.
- Now, press the Close button.
Read More: How to Name a Cell in Excel (4 Easy Ways)
- How to Change Scope of Named Range in Excel (3 Methods)
- Name a Column in Excel (3 Easy and Effective Ways)
- How to Paste Range Names in Excel (7 Ways)
- Unlock Excel Sheet for Editing (With Quick Steps)
- How to Enable Editing in Excel (5 Easy Ways)
2. Change the Range in the Name Box
We can edit the range in the Name Box in two ways.
2.1 Change the Range by Adding or Deleting Cells
As you see, we have two named ranges here, one is Students, and the other is Marks.
The cell range of Students is B5:B9 and
The cell range of Marks is C5:C9.
We can add or delete any entry from the named range. This is just as follows.
- Click on a Cell (the Cell above which you want to insert new data).
- Right-click the mouse and select the Insert option from the context menu.
A pop-up window will appear.
- Choose a suitable option, i.e. Shift cells down here.
A new cell is added to the named range. 👇
2.2 Edit the Range by Using the Name Manager
You can also utilize the Name Manager option from the Formulas tab to change the range.
- Go to the Formulas tab and then click on the Name Manager option.
A window will appear.
- Select the name whose range you want to change.
- Click on the up arrow icon on the Refers to: box.
- You can now select the range again. Here we have compressed the range, i.e. C5:C8.
- Click on the down arrow icon in Name Manager – Refers to: window.
- The Name Manager window will appear again. Press the Tick icon ✅ as in the picture.
- Finally, press the Close button.
You can do these also using the Edit button from the Name Manager window.
3. Delete the Name from the Name Box
Deleting names, i.e. the names ranges is not difficult at all. Just follow the steps below.
- Go to the Name Manager window from the Formulas tab.
- Select the names you want to delete. We can select the name the way we select files with the mouse usually.
- Press the Delete button and press Close.
- An alert message will appear. Are you sure want to delete the name “”?
- Just press OK.
That’s it. We are done with deleting the names.
In this article, we have learned how to create a Named range in the Name Box, edit the names in it, change the range and delete the named range from the Name Box. I hope this discussion has been useful for you. If you have any questions or any kind of feedback, please don’t hesitate to let us know in the comment box. Happy reading!
- How to Edit Defined Names in Excel (Step-by-Step Guideline)
- [Fixed!] Name Manager Delete Option Greyed out in Excel (3 Reasons)
- How to Set Value to a Named Range with Excel VBA (3 Methods)
- Change Excel Column Name from Number to Alphabet (2 Ways)
- How to Edit a Cell in Excel (4 Easy Methods)
- [Solved!] Names Not in Name Manager in Excel (2 Solutions)
- How to Name a Group of Cells in Excel (3 Methods +1 Bonus)