Sometimes, an unnecessary vertical line appears in Excel. This type of line often hampers the visual representation of the Excel worksheet. In this article, we are going to learn some techniques with beautiful examples to remove the vertical line in Excel. So without further delay, let’s get started.
Download Practice Workbook
Download the practice workbook from here.
5 Ideal Examples to Remove Vertical Line in Excel
1. Removal of Excel Frozen Pane Vertical Line
Suppose, we have an Excel worksheet where a vertical line is visible. The vertical line appeared because of using the Freeze Pane option. Now, we can remove it by following the steps below.
- First, go to the View tab.
- Second, select the Freeze Panes option.
- Now, click on Unfreeze Panes from the drop-down.
- Finally, we have properly removed the frozen pane vertical line which is visible in the picture below.
2. Elimination of Vertical Line Character Within Excel Dataset
Let’s say, we have a dataset (B4:E8) in Excel. We can see some vertical line characters in cells C5, D5 and E5 respectively. Now we need to remove the vertical lines. The steps to do so are below:
- Firstly, press Ctrl + F.
- Next, a Find and Replace window will pop up.
- Now, select Replace.
- After that, type ‘|’ in the box of Find what.
- Most importantly, you need to keep the Replace with box empty to remove the vertical line character.
- Then, click on the Replace All box.
- In turn, a window naming Microsoft Excel will appear.
- At this time you need to click on the OK button.
- Finally, we can see that we have removed the vertical line character perfectly.
3. Erase Page Break Vertical Line in Excel
Sometimes, we can see the Page Break Vertical Line in Excel. It divides the worksheet into parts so that one can know what will be printed on one page and what will move to the next page. Assuming, we have an Excel worksheet like the screenshot below. There we can see a page break vertical line. Now, we can remove the line by following the steps below.
A quick solution to remove the page break vertical line is to close and reopen the workbook. When you reopen a workbook, the page break vertical line will be removed.
We can see the result in the screenshot below.
A better way is available to get rid of the page break vertical line. The steps for this method are below.
- First, click on the File tab.
- Next, click on Options.
- After that, In the Excel Options dialog box that appears, in the left pane, select the Advanced option.
- Now, scroll down to the Display options for this worksheet section.
- Then, uncheck the box next to Show page breaks.
- Finally, click on the OK button.
- In the end, we have successfully removed the page break vertical line. Here, we can see the result in the picture below.
4. Discard Excel Vertical Line Border
Most often we use the borderline in the Excel dataset. The borderline make the dataset more representable in Excel. Let’s say, we have a dataset (B4:E8) in an Excel worksheet. We can see some vertical border lines in the dataset. Now, we can remove the vertical border line in Excel by following the steps below.
- In the beginning, select the entire dataset (B4:E8) which needs to remove the vertical line border.
- Then, go to the Home tab.
- Next, click the Border drop-down menu in the Font group.
- Now, select No Border from the border options which appear.
- Finally, the above steps would remove the vertical border line from the selected cells.
Read More: How to Remove Gridlines in Excel Using VBA
5. Remove Vertical Gridlines in Excel
We always see gridlines in any Excel worksheet. They are basically some horizontal and vertical lines indicating the rows and columns of a worksheet. They help to find any specific cell. Moreover, working in Excel becomes easier because of the gridlines. After completing the work in Excel, we can remove the gridlines to make it more representable. Assuming, we have an Excel worksheet like the screenshot below. There we can see some vertical and horizontal gridlines. In this method, we are going to remove both the vertical and horizontal gridlines from the spreadsheet.
- First, select the View tab.
- After that, uncheck the Gridlines option in the Show group.
- Finally, we will be able to remove the gridlines by following the above steps. The result is in the picture below.
I hope the above methods will be helpful for you to remove the vertical line in Excel. Download the practice workbook and give it a try. Let us know your feedback in the comment section. Follow our website ExcelDemy to get more articles like this.