Exporting folder and subfolder lists to Excel involves creating a comprehensive list of all the files and directories contained in a particular folder and its subfolders and saving that list in a Microsoft Excel file format. This process is useful for organizing large numbers of files and directories, and it can help users keep track of the contents of their computer’s storage. Today in this article, I am sharing with you how to export folder and subfolder list to excel.
In the following, you will find an overview of exporting folder and subfolder list to Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download our practice workbook from here for free!
Steps to Export Folder and Subfolder List to Excel
Suppose we have some .xlsx and .txt file and some subfolders inside a folder. Now we will use the Power Query tool to export folder and subfolder list to Excel.
1st Step: Choose a Folder from the Data Tab
- First, let’s start with visiting the Data tab and selecting the From Folder option from the Get Data feature.
- Second, we will select the folder which we want to export from local storage and click Open.
Read More: Export Folder Structure to Excel (3 Suitable Ways)
2nd Step: Import Data to Worksheet
- After doing that, a preview window will open, where we will click the Load To option.
- Immediately, a window will open named Import Data, where we will put the cell location for inserting data and hit OK.
Read More: How to Create Folders from Excel List (3 Easy Methods)
- How to Make a Numbered List in Excel (8 Methods)
- Make a List within a Cell in Excel (3 Quick Methods)
- How to Make a Price List in Excel (Step by Step Guidelines)
- Generate List Based on Criteria in Excel (5 Methods)
- Create a Unique List in Excel Based on Criteria (9 Methods)
3rd Step: Editing Data in Power Query Editor
- Now, we will edit our exported data by visiting the Edit option from the Query feature.
- Hence, when selecting multiple columns, choose Remove Columns from the Manage Columns option to delete columns.
- Therefore, by choosing the folder path column, we will make a duplicate of the column by utilizing the Duplicate Column option.
- After that, we will split the column by hitting the By Delimiter option from the Split Column feature.
- In the newly popped window, choose the Custom option from the drop-down list.
- Then, put a delimiter (\), choose Columns from the Advanced Options, and put a column number. As I want to split into 3 columns, I have put 3.
- Finally, hit OK.
- As a result, you will see that your folder and subfolder lists are split.
- Now, hit Close and Load to finish your task.
- In conclusion, we have successfully exported the folder and subfolder list to Excel.
Read More: How to Create Multiple Folders at Once from Excel
How to Show Folder and File Lists of a Certain Path in Excel
In Excel, it is possible to display a list of files and folders within a certain path using a web browser. This can be useful for organizing and managing large sets of files or for generating reports and summaries of the contents of a particular directory.
Suppose we have a folder containing some .xlsx and .txt files. Now we will utilize our browser to show folder and file lists for a certain path.
- Start with, opening the folder and copying the folder path.
- Then opening your web browser paste it into the Address bar and click the ENTER key.
- Within a short time, you will get the file lists inside your browser.
- Selecting all the lists press CTRL+C to copy.
- Opening your Excel workbook paste the copied list.
- Finally, we have the file list in our hand using a certain path. Simple isn’t it?
Read More: Create Outlook Folders from Excel List (Step-by-Step Guide)
Things to Remember
- When exporting a folder and subfolder list, you will need to specify the root directory from which to start the traversal.
- After the data is exported to Excel, you will need to format the worksheet like applying filters, sorting the data, and adding charts or graphs to visualize the information.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I export a folder and subfolder list to Excel on a Mac?
Yes, it is possible to export a folder and subfolder list to Excel on a Mac by using the Terminal application to generate a list of files and folders in the desired directory, and then copying and pasting that list into an Excel worksheet.
- What information can be exported to Excel from a folder and subfolder list?
The information that can be exported to Excel from a folder and subfolder list includes file name, size, date created, date modified, and other relevant information.
In conclusion, exporting a folder and subfolder list to Excel can be a useful technique for anyone looking to manage and organize a large collection of files. Exporting a folder and subfolder list to Excel can provide valuable insights and help to streamline your workflow. Take a tour of the practice workbook and download the file to practice by yourself. Please inform us in the comment section about your experience. We, the Exceldemy team, are always responsive to your queries. Stay tuned and keep learning.