Excel sheets have grid lines that separate cells. Sometimes, we need to Remove Grid from Excel for better data analysis. It makes the dataset clean and easier to understand. To enhance the readability, we can remove the grid from Excel. There are also various reasons when we need to remove gridlines for sake of productive analysis.
Download Practice Book
Download the practice book.
Overview of Grid in Excel
The faint gray cells that we see in our worksheets in Excel are called Gridlines. The basic idea of Excel is to present our data in rows and columns. For this reason, the use of gridlines is very common in worksheets.
Sometimes, we use borders in our dataset. But border and grid are different things. The grid covers the whole worksheet but the border covers only some datasets.
Gridline makes the task of data entry easier. But we need to remove it after completion of data entry to read it easily.
6 Quick Ways to Remove Grid from Excel
Here we will show 6 methods and using these methods you can easily remove gridlines in Excel.
1. Remove Grid from Excel Using Ribbon
The easiest way to remove gridlines from the whole sheet is to use the ribbon. We can use three tabs for this purpose. They are – View, Page Layout & File tab.
To make the explanation easier, we will use a dataset of two columns here. The dataset has an Employee and a Working Hour column.
We will use the same dataset for every method. Our goal is to remove gridlines easily and quickly.
1.1 Using View Tab
We can see the gridlines in our worksheet.
We will now try to remove the grid. For that, we need to follow the steps:
- Firstly, select the VIEW tab.
- Secondly, go to Gridlines and deselect it.
- Finally, the gridlines will disappear.
1.2 Using Page Layout Tab
We can also use the Page Layout Tab for this purpose.
- Firstly, select Page Layout.
- Then, go to the View option and deselect it.
- Following the steps, we will see a gridless worksheet like below.
1.3 Using File Tab
There is another way where we can remove the grid from excel using ribbon. We will demonstrate the procedure below.
- Firstly, go to the FILE tab.
- Secondly, select Options. An Excel Options window will appear.
- Thirdly, select Advanced.
- Then go to the Display options for this worksheet and deselect Show gridlines.
- Finally, the gridlines will disappear.
2. Using Keyboard Shortcut to Remove Grid
Keyboard Shortcuts are very quick solutions for many tasks. We can use this to remove gridlines also.
- Firstly, open your worksheet. The gridlines will automatically appear.
- Now press Alt and enter W, V, G respectively. This will remove the gridlines.
3. Application of Background Fill to Remove Grid
Background Fill is also used to remove gridlines. It has a great advantage as it can remove the grid of specific cells. We will use the same dataset here.
- Firstly, select the whole sheet and go to the HOME.
- Secondly, select the Fill.
- Then, gridlines will be removed just like the picture below.
- How to Remove Borders in Excel (4 Quick Ways)
- Remove Data Validation Restrictions in Excel (3 Ways)
- How to Remove Partial Data from Multiple Cells in Excel (6 Ways)
- Remove Checkbox in Excel (6 Methods)
- How to Remove Timestamps from Date in Excel (4 Easy Ways)
4. Remove Grid for Multiple Worksheets in Excel
Removing gridlines for multiple worksheets is an easy task. Just follow the steps for quick solutions.
- Press Ctrl on the Keyboard and select the worksheets.
- Now go to the VIEW tab from the ribbon and deselect Gridlines. Gridlines will not be visible in all worksheets.
5. Excel VBA for Removing Grid
With VBA we can create a function to remove the grid from excel. In this process, we need to follow some crucial steps.
- Firstly, go to the DEVELOPER tab from the ribbon and select Visual Basics. A Microsoft Visual Basic window will appear.
- Secondly, type the below code there.
Sub Remove_Grid() Dim sheet As Worksheet For Each sheet In Worksheets sheet.Activate ActiveWindow.DisplayGridlines = False Next sheet End Sub
- Thirdly, save the code.
- Now, go to Macros and run the code.
- Finally, after running the code, the gridlines will be removed.
6. Remove Grid for Specific Cells in Excel
Removing the grid from specific cells in Excel is very important We can use the Background Fill to do that. But we can also use the following procedure:
- Firstly, select specific cells from your datasheet.
- Secondly, right-click your mouse, and from the drop-down menu, select Format Cells.
- Thirdly, go to the Border tab and change the color to white. Also, select Outline and Inside from Presets.
- After following the above steps, just click ok. It will remove the grid for the selected cells.
We often need to remove the grid from Excel for simplification. I hope these methods will help you to remove gridlines easily. Last of all, if you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to comment below.
- Data clean-up techniques in Excel: Replacing or removing text in cells
- Data clean-up techniques in Excel: Fixing trailing minus signs
- How to Remove Leading Zeros in Excel (7 Easy Ways + VBA)
- Remove Table in Excel (6 Methods)
- How to Remove Password from Excel (3 Simple Ways)
- How to Remove Formulas in Excel: 7 Easy Ways