While working in Microsoft Excel sometimes we might need to make text vertical. For a better understanding of the dataset, we change the orientation of texts or numeric values. Excel has a built-in feature to make text in a different orientation. You can change the text direction to angle counterclockwise, angle clockwise, and rotate the text up and down. But sometimes it becomes difficult while working online. In this article, I am going to share with you how to make text vertical in excel online.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
2 Simple Steps to Make Text Vertical in Excel Online
In the following, I have shared 2 simple and easy steps to make text vertical in excel online.
Suppose, we have a dataset of an office’s time schedule. As breaks are common every day, we are going to make “Snacks Break” and “Lunch Break” vertical in the excel spreadsheet.
Step 1: Use Open in Desktop App Feature to Make Text Vertical in Excel Online
- Firstly, go to your browser. Here, I have opened Google Chrome Browser.
- Now, Open your workbook in Microsoft Excel Online.
- Then, go to the “Editing” option and click “Open in Desktop App”.
Step 2: Perform Orientation Feature to Make Text Vertical in Excel
- Therefore, the workbook will open in a new window from your installed excel workbook.
- Later select cells by holding the Ctrl button and pressing the “Merge and Center” button to merge cells.
- Similarly, selecting those cells click the “Vertical Text” option from the “Orientation” icon.
Finally, we have successfully made our text vertical in an easy and simple way.
Things to Remember
- After making the text vertical, if we open the file in Microsoft Excel Online, it will automatically change the text format to the horizontal position. Microsoft Excel Online doesn’t have the orientation feature.
- You can also use the “Format Cells” option to change the orientation of the text. Select a cell and after that right click the mouse button to appear options. From the options choose “Format Cells”. Now go to “Alignment” and change the “Degree” of the text.
In this article, I have tried to cover all the simple steps to make text vertical in excel online. Take a tour of the practice workbook and download the file to practice by yourself. Hope you find it useful. Please inform us in the comment section about your experience. We, the Exceldemy team, are always responsive to your queries. Stay tuned and keep learning.