Sometimes while using Excel we have to use a checkbox to keep track of the progress of our To-do list or the opinions of the customers etc. After the purpose of such a checkbox has been served and we do not need it anymore, sometimes we find it very difficult to remove the box from our workbook. In this article, I will show you 6 easy methods to remove the checkbox from the Excel worksheet.
Download Practice Workbook
6 Methods to Remove Checkbox in Excel
Let’s say, we have a To-do list with some tasks in our Excel workbook which we had to complete in the previous week. We used checkboxes to keep track of the completion of each task. Now, we will use 6 simple ways to remove the checkbox in Excel from our workbook.
1. Utilizing Context Menu to Remove Checkbox
If the checkboxes have a right-click menu enabled, then we will follow these steps-
- Initially, we will move our mouse cursor/pointer to the checkbox we want to remove.
- Eventually, we have to right-click on the mouse to open the Context Menu.
- After that, press the ESC key on the keyboard to dismiss the Right-Click menu.
- Finally, press the DELETE key on the keyboard. The checkboxes will be removed like in the image below.
Read More: How to Remove Header and Footer in Excel (6 Methods)
2. Removing Multiple Checkboxes Using Mouse
We can also use our mouse to remove multiple checkboxes that we do not want. To do so, Let’s follow the steps-
- Firstly, you need to press and hold the CTRL key and click on the checkboxes with the mouse.
- Then, you have to press DELETE on the keyboard to remove the checkboxes.
3. Applying Go To Special Tool
Another way to delete checkboxes is to use the Go To Special tool. To use this tool-
- At first, go to the Home tab >> select the Find & Select from the Editing group> choose Go To Special.
- Apparently, a pop-up window of Go to Special appears. We select Objects and then hit OK.
- Checkboxes in Excel are classified as objects. So, after selecting Objects in the Go To Special tool. All the checkboxes in our excel workbook will be selected.
- Now, we will just press DELETE on the keyboard and the checkboxes will be removed.
- How to Remove Symbol in Excel (8 Ways)
- Remove Drop Down Arrow in Excel (6 Methods)
- How to Remove Metadata from Excel File (3 Methods)
- Remove Vlookup Formula in Excel (6 Methods)
- How to Remove Excel Add-In (3 Quick Ways)
4. Engaging Design Mode
If the checkboxes do not have the right-click option enabled then we can use Design Mode as an alternative way to remove the checkboxes. To do so-
- Firstly, we have to go to the Developer tab >> select Design Mode from the Controls group.
- Then, we can click on the checkboxes, select them, and press DELETE to remove the checkboxes from the excel worksheet.
5. Employing Select Object Tool to Remove Checkboxes
Select Object tool is a very efficient way to remove checkboxes from the Excel workbook. To use this tool-
- Firstly, go to the Home tab and click Find and Select from the Editing group.
- Secondly, from the dropdown click on Select-Object.
- After that, select the checkboxes you want to remove.
- Finally, press DELETE on your keyboard to remove the checkboxes.
6. Incorporating VBA Macros
However, a short and simple VBA script could also be used to easily remove checkboxes. To do so, you have to do the following steps-
- Firstly, hover over the Developer tab >> choose Visual Basic, and a new Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window will be displayed.
- Then, click Insert > Module >>Module 1.
- After that, input the following code into the Module.
Sub RemoveCheckBox() On Error Resume Next ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes.Delete Selection.FormatConditions.Delete End Sub
- Consequently, run the code with the F5 key and all the checkboxes will be removed.
Read More: How to Remove Macros from Excel (5 Suitable Ways)
Things to Remember
- If you do not have a Developer tab, you can make it visible in File > Option > Customize Ribbon.
- To open the VBA editor Press ALT + F11
- You can press ALT + F8 to bring up the Macro window.
We have provided a practice section on each sheet on the right side for your practice. Please do it by yourself.
That’s all about today’s session. And these are some easy methods on how to remove checkbox in Excel Please let us know in the comments section if you have any questions or suggestions. For a better understanding please download the practice sheet. Visit our website ExcelDemy, a one-stop Excel solution provider, to find out about diverse kinds of excel methods. Thanks for your patience in reading this article.
- How to Remove Gridlines in Excel for Specific Cells (2 Quick Methods)
- Remove Read Only from Excel (7 Easiest Ways)
- How to Remove Negative Sign in Excel (7 Methods)
- Remove Prefix in Excel (6 Methods)
- How to Remove Dashes from SSN in Excel (4 Quick Methods)
- How to Remove Strikethrough in Excel (3 Ways)