Want to make a list for your data within a cell in Excel? You are in the right place! Here in this tutorial, we will show you 3 unique methods to make a list in a cell.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel template from here and practice on your own.
3 Ways to Make a List within a Cell in Excel
Let’s get introduced to our dataset first. The following dataset represents 5 nominated movies in the Best Picture category of the Oscar Award 2022.
Method 1: Make a Drop-Down List in a Cell in Excel
A drop-down list is very user-handy because it helps to select a specific item by clicking from the list. So you don’t need to create a line break in a cell.
- To make a drop-down list firstly I have listed the movie names in another new sheet named ‘List’.
- Then go to the main sheet where you want to make the drop-down
- Click the cell where you want to keep the list.
- Later, click as follows:
Data > Data Tools > Data Validation > Data Validation
- Soon after the Data Validation dialog box will open up.
- Form the Setting section, select List from the Allow
- After that press the Open icon from the Source box then another dialog box will appear to select the range.
- At this moment, just go to the List sheet and select the data range by dragging it with your mouse. A dancing rectangle will highlight your selection.
- Finally, just hit the Enter
- Nothing to do here, just press OK.
Then you will see a drop-down icon on the right side of the cell.
If you click there, it will show all the selected items as a list. Select an item then the cell will show only that item.
I have selected Dune.
- Creating a Mailing List in Excel (2 Methods)
- How to Make Alphabetical List in Excel (3 Ways)
- Make a Comma Separated List in Excel (5 Methods)
Method 2: Create a Bullet Or Number List within a Cell in Excel
- Double-click the cell where you want to create the list.
- Then click as follows: Insert > Symbols > Symbol
Soon after you will get a dialog box that will show you a lot of symbols.
- Now just select the Bullet symbol from the chart or you can type the Character code in the search box as shown in the image below and it will take you to the character directly.
- Then just press Insert.
- If you want to make list with numbers just select the Number character from the chart.
Now the Bullet character is inserted successfully.
- After that, type an item name or you can copy from another sheet or app.
- Later, to break the line press Alt+Enter on your keyboard.
- Now to insert the Bullet character again, you can insert it like the previous steps or you can simply copy from the previous line in the cell.
- Again type or copy another item name and carry on these steps till the ending of your list.
- Then just press the Enter
- Finally, keep the cursor on the row names’ lower margin of the cell then just double-click your mouse and the row will expand automatically to fit the cell.
The total list is now placed in Cell B5 with Bullet character.
Method 3: Paste a List in a Cell from Another App in Excel
Instead of typing the names manually again and again you can copy the list from another app like- MS Word, Text Document, Notebook, Webpage, Etc.
Have a look at the following image, I have made a bullet list of those movies in MS Word.
- First, copy the list using the Ctrl+C command on your keyboard.
- Then double-click the cell where you want to copy the list.
- And then simply copy the list using the Ctrl+V command on your keyboard and press the Enter
- Lastly, you will have to double-click your mouse on the row names’ lower margin of the cell to expand the cell.
And now the list in a cell is ready.
I hope the procedures described above will be good enough to make a list within a cell in Excel. Feel free to ask any question in the comment section and please give me feedback.