Microsoft Excel is a powerful tool to create a dynamic database. We can store the data of our device folders or browsers which is called Metadata. In this article, we will learn some easy steps to create an Excel file from Metadata through a CSV file.
What Is Metadata?
Metadata is the summary of all types of data of any browser, folder, software, etc. It provides the basic information of any data to make the process of finding and working with data easier. For example, when we search for anything in Google, we have a basic keyword in mind that pushes the search further. This beginning of the search word is called the Metadata of that search engine. It is a vast field and can be described in a simple or complex way based on the source product.
Types of Metadata
In general, there are 3 types of Metadata that represent maximum knowledge of this vast field. Let’s get to know them in brief.
Descriptive metadata helps to signify a particular data with the information that only relates to it. This process helps to standardize specific attributes and the unique discoverability of a specific asset.
Structural metadata provides information on multiple types of data in a single window. It is mostly used for documenting two or more assets and representing relationships among them.
Administrative metadata defines the technical origin of any digital asset. It also gathers information like file type, date of creation, file size, etc. This type of metadata gives the right over any intellectual property and conditions to use it based on licensing.
How to Create Excel File from Metadata with CSV File: Step-by-Step Procedures
So far we have a brief understanding of metadata and its types. Now we will create an Excel file from simple metadata from my device folder. We will do it through a CSV file. Let’s go through the step-by-step process below.
Step 1: Download External Software
To start the process, we need to download external software.
- First, open your web browser and go to this website to download the FileList software.
- Then, click on Free Download on the webpage.
- Afterward, select Download on the new page.
- Finally, you will get a zip folder of the FileList software in the Downloads folder of your device.
Step 2: Extract Metadata to CSV File
Now, with the help of the software, we will extract the metadata files that we need in Excel. To do the task, follow the process below.
- First, in the Downloads folder, right-click on the FileList zip file.
- Here, select Extract files in the Context Menu.
- As a result, you will get the extracted files in your selected location.
- Now, select the FileList file and press Ctrl + C on your keyboard to copy it.
- Then, go to your required folder of metadata and press Ctrl + V to paste it there.
- After this, select FileList in the new location.
- Following this, type cmd in the title bar.
- Then, press Enter.
- Accordingly, you will see the Command Line Interface window.
- Here, type this command below:
FileList.exe /USECOLUMNS NAME,FULLPATH,LASTCHANGE,
EXTENSION,SIZE,AUTHORS,System.Photo.DateTaken > output.txt
- After this, press Enter and you will see a new CSV file in the folder.
Step 3: Export CSV File to Excel
As we have our CSV file, now we will import it into Excel. Following is the process to do this.
- First, open a new Excel workbook.
- Then, go to the Data tab and select From Text/CSV in the Get & Transform Data group.
- Next, select the output file from the source folder.
- Then, click on Import.
- As a result, you will get the metadata of your source folder as a table in the preview window.
- Here, click on Transform Data to direct it to Power Query Editor.
Step 4: Edit CSV File in Power Query Editor
Now, we will edit the preview metadata table in Power Query Editor before getting the final output.
- In the beginning, go to the Home tab and select Remove Rows in the Reduce Rows group.
- Then, choose Remove Top Rows from the drop-down menu.
- Now, type 2 in the Number of rows box which defines that we will remove 2 rows from the top.
- Afterward, hit OK.
- In the following step, select Use First Row as Headers in the Transform section of the Home tab.
- Lastly, choose Close & Load to close the Power Query Editor.
Read More: How to Edit Document Properties in Excel
Finally, after editing the table, we have our required metadata as a table in Excel. It shows all the information of the files that were in the source folder.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this final output file for a better understanding.
Finally, we are at the end of our article. We tried to explore every ins and outs of metadata and learned how to create an Excel file from metadata with a CSV file in easy steps. Let us know if you have any queries on this tutorial.
- How to Remove Excel Metadata
- How to Create Metadata in Excel
- How to Export Image Metadata to Excel
- How to Show Excel Metadata Viewer
- How to View Properties Dialog Box in Excel
- How to Display Document Properties in Excel
- How to Remove Last Modified By in Excel
- How to Make an Excel Metadata Extractor
- How to Remove Metadata from Excel File