We frequently need to adjust the column width in Excel. In this article, you will learn about two quick steps for how to set column width in inches in Excel. We will be using the Microsoft 365 version. The tutorial can be used with any version of Microsoft Excel.
Set Column Width in Inches in Excel: Step-by-Step Procedures
There will be two easy steps to set the column width in inches in Excel. Firstly, we will change the ruler units from “default units” to “inches” in the Excel Options window. Then, we will enable the page layout view and set the column widths there. Lastly, if we return to the normal view, we will see the column width in inches. Furthermore, here is a snapshot of the dataset used for this article.
Step 1: Changing Ruler Units to Inches
We will change the ruler units in this first step to set the column width in inches in Excel. Firstly, we will need to bring up the Excel Options window. Then, we will see the option to change the ruler unit from the Display section under the Advanced tab.
- Firstly, press Alt, F, and T one after another in order to bring up the Excel Options window. Alternatively, you can select options from the File menu to do so.
- So, a new window will appear.
- Secondly, go to the Advanced tab.
- Thirdly, from the Ruler units dropdown list select Inches, which is under the Display section.
- Afterward, press OK and this will complete the first step of this article.
Step 2: Setting Column Width in Page Layout View
Now, we will enable the page layout view for our dataset. There are three buttons on the status bar on the bottom right side. The three views are normal, page layout, and page break preview. In this step, we will select the second icon.
- To begin with, select the Page Layout icon on the status bar.
- So, the sheet will be opened in the new view.
- Then, right-click on the column that you want to resize. We chose to resize column B.
- So, a context menu will appear.
- Afterward, select the Column Width… option.
- Therefore, a new dialog box will pop up.
- Then, type 2 to set the B column width to 2 inches.
- After that, press OK.
- So, it will change the column width.
- Afterward, we can click on the Normal view icon to go back to the default viewing experience.
- Then, you can right-click to see the column width properties. Remember, it will show in default units. So, 2 inches is 24.86 units.
- Similarly, you can set the other column width in inches.
Read More: How to Change Excel Column Width in Pixels
Autofit Column Width Shortcut in Excel
Often, we cannot see the entire contents of the columns. Moreover, there are scenarios where the columns are too wide. Using the mouse or a keyboard shortcut, we can increase or decrease the column width to fit the contents easily. Shortcuts save a lot of time in Excel. In this section, we will show you a keyboard shortcut to autofit the column width in Excel.
- Firstly, select the required column range. Here, we have selected columns B to D.
- Secondly, press the following buttons one after another Alt, H, O, I.
- By doing so, it will autofit the column width.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the Excel file from the link below.
We have shown you two quick steps for how to set a column width in inches in Excel. If you face any problems regarding these methods, feel free to comment below. Moreover, you can also leave any feedback for us, so we can serve you better.
However, remember that our website implements comment moderation. Therefore, your comments may not be instantly visible. So, have a little bit of patience, and we will solve your query as soon as possible.