There are thousands of cells in an Excel sheet. Every time we need to edit those cells because there is data, values, formulas, and so on in a cell and we need to edit them from time to time for our requirements. We can easily edit those cells by knowing how to edit cells in Excel with a keyboard. In this article, we shall discuss the methods of how to edit a cell in Excel with the keyboard.
We can edit a cell in Excel by using a keyboard with the usage of different keys. To understand the keyboard shortcut usage, we have prepared a dataset of the Distance of Main Distribution Boards(MDB) from the Substation of a company. The dataset is like this.
We’ll now see different usage of keyboard shortcuts based on this dataset.
1. Using the F2 Key to Edit Cells in Excel
To edit a cell we first need to select the cell like this.
- Secondly, we can enter the edit mode by pressing the F2 key like this.
Here, we need to convert the value from inch to millimeter. But the value here is converted from meter to mile.
- As we have selected the cell, now we need to place the cursor with one click on the right side of m which is the meter.
- After that, we need to erase m by pressing Backspace and need to write in which means inch.
- Then, we should move to the right side of mi by pressing the right arrow key (>) and follow the same step to erase mi and put mm.
- Finally, we should press ENTER. By doing this, the value is converted from inch to mm.
- And using the Fill Handle, we can convert all of the values from D7 to D12.
2. Using Different Combinations of CTRL, SHIFT, and Arrows to Edit Cells with the Keyboard
We can edit inside a cell by using different combinations of CTRL, SHIFT, and Arrows. We can use SHIFT+Arrows, CTRL+Arrows, and CTRL+SHIFT+Arrows for different purposes to edit inside a cell.
Select One Character Right or Left
Firstly, we can use the SHIFT and Arrows keys when we need to select a character inside a cell. We can do this following the below steps.
- In the picture below, if we need to select one character right of the B6 cell, we first need to put the cursor on the left of MDB-One with one click.
- Secondly, we need to press SHIFT, hold it, and press Right Arrow(>) i.e. SHIFT+Right Arrow (>).
- Now we can edit the selected character by putting anything here.
- Similarly, for selecting one character left, we need to press SHIFT + Left Arrow (<) in the same way.
Move One Word Right or Left
We can use the CTRL and Arrows combination when we need to move a one-word character inside a cell. We can do this following the below steps.
- In the picture below, if we need to select one word right of the B6 cell, we first need to put the cursor on the left of One in the MDB-One words with one click.
- Secondly, we need to press CTRL, hold it, and press Right Arrow (>)e. CTRL+ Right Arrow (>).
- We can see that the cursor has moved to the right 1 word and placed it on the right side of
- Similarly, to move one word left, we need to press CTRL + Left Arrow (<) in the same way.
Selecting One Word Right or Left
- In the picture below, if we need to select one word right of the B6 cell, we first need to put the cursor on the left of MDB-One with one click.
- Then, we need to press CTRL, hold it, press SHIFT, hold it, and press Right Arrow (>)e. CTRL + SHIFT + Right Arrow (>).
- Now we can edit the selected word by putting anything here.
- Similarly, for selecting one character left, we need to press CTRL + SHIFT + Left Arrow (<) in the same way.
3. Editing a Cell Using Excel Formula Bar
If we want to edit a cell directly using Formula Bar we need to undo allowing editing directly in cells.
- For this first, we need to press ALT + F to open the File Menu. Then we should press T.
- As a result, a page will come like this.
- Then we need to select the Advanced.
- After that, we need to undo the Allow Editing Directly in Cells.
- As a result of this, if we want to edit a cell we need to just click on the cell, we need to just press F2 and We will see that the cursor is now directly in the Formula Bar. That means we can edit directly from Formula Bar.
4. Pressing the Escape Button on the Keyboard to Cancel Entry in Cells
If we want to cancel the entry of a cell we just need to press the Esc key.
- Here we have first selected the cell that we want to edit. And have pressed F2 to go into edit mode.
- And now we don’t want any new entries in the cell. For this, we have pressed the Esc The cell has returned to its initial state, which means the new entry is canceled.
Things to Remember
Probably, you might have faced the following issues.
- The Excel file is in Read-Only mode.
- The Excel worksheet is locked.
- Editing in a cell is disabled in Excel.
These are the issues for which you can’t edit a cell in Excel. So, make sure that you have fixed these issues before editing a cell with the keyboard.
Download Practice Workbook
When we want to edit a cell, it becomes easier if we use keyboard shortcuts. By using keyboard shortcuts our editing tasks need less time and attention.