This article illustrates how to create a workflow in excel. Workflow can be defined as the sequence of operations for any particular process. It is usually presented in a flowchart. A workflow for a particular process can help track the sequence of operations related to that process. It also makes information exchange easier throughout the organization. Follow the article to learn how to create a workflow in excel for the particular job you are associated with.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workflow templates from the download button below.
3 Ways to Create a Workflow in Excel
You can create a workflow in excel in 3 different ways. The methods are highlighted below.
1. Create a Workflow in Excel Using Shapes
Follow the steps below to create a workflow using custom shapes in excel.
- First, select Insert >> Illustrations >> Shapes. Then, you will see a long list of shapes as shown below. Now, hover over the shapes to see their names. You can scroll down to find the proper shape to insert for your workflow. Next, click on the shape to insert it.
- After that, you will see a + sign appear when you keep the cursor on the cells. Now, click and drag your mouse to make a properly sized shape as required. Don’t worry, you can also resize it later.
- Next, the shape will be inserted as follows. Click on the outline of the shape to select it. Then you can rotate and resize it as required.
- If you need to insert the same shape again, you can just copy and paste the shape. You don’t need to insert a new shape again. Select the shape and press CTRL+C to copy it. Then press CTRL+V to paste it there.
- Now you can select and drag the shapes to align them properly. Use CTRL+Select to select multiple shapes. Then select Shape Format >> Arrange >> Align. Now you can align them to the center and distribute them vertically to keep even spaces between them. Clicking elsewhere will unselect them.
- Now, select a cell and start typing the names of the sequential operations as shown in the picture below.
- Then, insert arrows to link the shapes representing the operations or processes. You can also insert text boxes to add labels to the arrows.
- After that, select the shapes and format them properly from the home tab. Finally, you will see the following result.
2. Use SmartArt Graphic
Alternatively, you can create a workflow in excel by inserting SmartArt Graphic. Follow the steps below to be able to do that.
- First, select Insert >> Illustrations >> SmartArt as shown in the following picture.
- Next, choose and select a SmartArt Graphic, and then click OK.
- After that, the SmartArt Graphic will be inserted as follows. You can activate the SmartArt Design tab by clicking on the SmartArt Graphic.
- Now type the names of the processes for your workflow in the text panes at the left. Then, press Enter to add more shapes.
- Finally, format the SmartArt Graphic as in the earlier method to get the following result.
3. Create a Workflow from Excel Templates
You can also create a workflow from the flowchart templates in excel. Follow the steps below to be able to do that.
- First, click on the File menu. Then select More Templates.
- Now type Flowchart in the search bar and click on the search icon. Next, choose a template from the list and then click on it.
- After that, click on the Create button to create a workflow from the template.
Things to Remember
- You can right-click on a shape to format it as required.
- You should click on the outline of a shape to select it.
Now you know how to create a workflow in excel in 3 different ways. Hopefully, this article has helped you to do that. Please use the comment section below for further queries or suggestions. You can also visit our ExcelDemy blog to explore more about excel. Stay with us and keep learning.